Tips to Stay Healthy This Summer
It’s easy to get wrapped up with the hustle and bustle of everyday tasks. Summer is a great time to enjoy a more relaxed schedule and fewer distractions! I’ve put a few tips together to help you stay healthy this summer!
Here are a few tips to stay healthy this summer:
Go to Bed!
Resist the urge to stay up later during long summer days. Try to keep a bedtime routine and wake-up schedule. Restore yourself with an energizing nap, try to keep it short and at the same time each day to prevent any interruptions with your bedtime. Set a bed and wake time and try to stick with it. If you use an iWatch or phone for an alarm, set an alarm for the same times daily including a reminder to get ready for bed!
To keep the whole family well-rested during the summer months:
- Stick to the same bedtime schedule every day and keep the little ones consistent too!
- Make the bedroom as dark and quiet as possible. A blackout shade can help block the light.
- Keep the temperature in the bedroom cool. This includes adjusting your child’s bedding from warm covers like down and flannel to a more summer-friendly fabric such as cotton. If a baby is swaddled or in a wearable blanket at night, choose wraps and wearables made from lighter fabric.
- Try to avoid any form of overstimulation before bedtime, and turn off screens 2 hours prior to going to bed.
- Keep a regular exercise schedule, but avoid exercising too close to bedtime. Morning routines are my JAM! With our new program coming out, mornings are going to be the sacred time for exercise! Mornings set the tone for the entire day!
- Get direct exposure to sunlight in the morning to help suppress melatonin! Get outside throughout the day but remember your sun protection! Always keep a hat for each family member in the car along with some sunscreen!
- Avoid drinking too many caffeinated beverages such as sodas and energy drinks throughout the day. Limit sodas and energy drinks and drink PLENTY of water. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces and then some! Remember to offer your children plenty of water too!
- Be active and social during the day rather than late at night. Plan your outings earlier in the day if possible! Reserve time in the afternoon for some rest! Instill a “quiet time” for children on days you are home! It is especially important to develop quiet time for little ones who may seem to be on the go and stimulated all day long!
The Eyes Have It!
Be good to your eyes and protect your vision! Make sure to wear protective eyewear at work and at play. While we all want to soak up the sun for that energy boost, don’t forget to protect your eyes! Sunglasses can help prevent cataracts as well as wrinkles around the eyes.
It’s also important to protect your eyes when playing sports or doing tasks like mowing the lawn. Ask your doctor about the best type of sport-specific eyewear.
If the little ones will wear sunglasses, go for it! If not, encourage a hat at all time outside!!
Take a Vacation
With all the extra time and slower schedule, take a vacation! Vacations are great for lowering blood pressure, heart rate, and stress hormones such as cortisol. Vacation days give you a break in your routine and who doesn’t love that?! Not to mention it’s a great way to reset and refuel.
How Do Your Flowers Grow?
Did you know that spending time gardening is a great way to reduce stress? Cultivate a flower box or plant a small garden and get dirty!
Remember to Floss
The summer is no time to forget about dental hygiene. Remember to brush and floss regularly. Flossing reduces bacteria, which improves overall body health. If your teeth are very close together like mine are, invest in the little travel pics to have in your purse, backpack or car!
Pick an outdoor activity! Go on a hike, take a nature walk, play games such as tag with your kids, ride a bike, rollerblade, or go swimming…it’s a great way to create bonding time and stay fit. Take your laptop outside and try some new MM100 moves by the pool! Be sure to leave plenty of room for the lightning bolts!
These are just a few tips for staying healthy this summer. The important thing is that you find what works for you and what makes you feel refreshed. Have a safe and fun summer!
YOGURT PARFAIT POPS
These pops can be a great breakfast, snack or dessert and were a big hit with the littles! Perfect for a summertime treat!
- 1 cup 2% Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 1 cup mixed berries, peaches, or fruit of choice
- Homemade Granola (or store-bought no added sugar)
- To make, mix all ingredients together and transfer to a popsicle mold and freeze about 8 hours.
- To serve, drizzle honey on top and dip the pop in granola.