Kung Pao Chicken with Zoodles
(Inspired by SKINNYTASTE FAST and SLOW)
Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles For Two without the guilt (under 300 calories), because I replaced the noodles with zoodles (zucchini noodles) and the results were fantastic!!
- 2 medium zucchini, about 8 oz each, ends trimmed (or purchase zoodles already prepped)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil (divided)
- 6 oz skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 2 tbsp crushed dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced scallions along diagonal
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 tbsp liquid amino
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp honey
- Using a spiralizer with the thickest noodle blade, or a mandolin fitted with a julienne blade, cut the zucchini into long spaghetti-like strips. If using a spiralizer, use kitchen scissors to cut the strands into pieces that are about 6 to 8 inches long so they’re easier to eat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, balsamic, hoisin, water, red chili paste, and honey and set aside
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat oil in a large, deep nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through about 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add sesame oil, garlic, and ginger to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the bell pepper, stir in soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened and bubbling about 1-2 minutes. Stir in zucchini noodles and cook, mixing for about two minutes until just tender and mixed with the sauce. If it seems dry, don’t worry the zucchini will release moisture which helps create a sauce. Once cooked, mix in chicken and divide between 2 bowls (about 2 cups each) and top with peanuts and scallions.
Skinnytaste Fast and Slow by Gina Homolka is my FAVORITE all time cookbook. All of the recipes are easy, delicious and healthful!