Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 1⁄2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups store-bought chunky medium salsa
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned black beans,* rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend*
- 2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
1. For the chicken: Season the chicken with the salt, put it in a slow cooker, and top with the salsa, black beans, corn, garlic powder, and cumin.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Transfer the cooked chicken to a large plate. Shred with 2 forks and return to the slow cooker. Add the cilantro.
3. For the pico de gallo: In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, scallions, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
4. To serve, place 1⁄2 cup brown rice in each of 8 serving bowls. Top with 2⁄3 cup chicken, 1⁄4 cup shredded cheese, and 1⁄4 cup shredded lettuce. Divide the pico de gallo among the bowls and serve.
Recipe by Gina Homolka of skinnytaste