Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
This recipe for Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies is flavorful and so easy to make! Shredded beef served on whole wheat Italian bread or rolls with melted provolone. Recipe by Skinny Taste.
- 3 lbs beef top round roast, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons Italian salad dressing mix or see below for homemade
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 oz jar pepperoncini
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 8 2 oz pieces whole wheat Italian or French bread (or gluten-free bread)
- 8 slices Sargento Provolone Ultra Thin
Homemade Italian Seasoning (use 4 teaspoons):
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sugar or stevia
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Pat the roast dry with a paper towel. Combine the onion powder, black pepper, and salt and rub all over the roast then place it into the slow cooker.
- Add the Italian salad dressing mix, broth, garlic, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours or low 10 to 12 hours, until very tender and easily shreds with two forks.
- When done, remove bay leaf and shred the beef. Add 1 cup of the pepperoncinis and the bell peppers to the slow cooker, cover and cook high 30 minutes or low 1 hour.
- To serve, top each roll or bread with 3 oz meat mixture, top with 1 slice cheese, and some of the remaining pepperoncinis. Serve the remaining liquid as a dip for the sandwich, if desired. If desired, place the bread under the broiler 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.